How best to manage your stress
The best ways to manage stress are through self-care. Follow these tips to ensure you stay well through tough times:
- Avoid drugs and alcohol. They may seem to be a temporary fix to feel better, but, in the long run, drugs and alcohol can create more problems and add to your stress instead of taking it away.
- Find support. Seek help from a partner, family member, friend, counselor, doctor or clergy person. Having someone to lend a sympathetic, listening ear and share your problems/stress with can help lighten your load.
- Connect socially. After a stressful event, it is easy to isolate yourself. Make sure you are spending time with loved ones. Try to plan fun activities with your partner, children or friends.
- Take care of yourself.
- Eat a healthy, well-balanced diet.
- Exercise regularly.
- Get plenty of sleep.
- Try meditation to clear your head.
- Give yourself a break; for example, treat yourself to a therapeutic massage.
- Try to maintain a normal routine.
- Stay active. You can take your mind off your problems with activities like helping a neighbor, volunteering in the community, or taking your dog on a long walk. These can be positive ways to cope with stressful feelings.