Get happy: Make a bliss list
Have you ever stopped and thought about what makes you happy? Why not take time to write down all the people, activities and things that bring joy to your life? It’s easy! Use pen and paper, or the notes app on your smartphone, to create a “bliss list” bulleting things that make you smile. You can start the list and come back to it, adding to it as you find the time.
Review your bliss list on a weekly basis. It is a great way to keep track of how many activities you’re doing regularly that make you smile. It also helps you understand what you can add to make your life happier.
Share your appreciation with others. You can tell them in person, send a text or handwritten note, or even write a glowing review for a server or customer service representative with whom you interacted. Doing so can have a positive effect not only on that person’s happiness, but also on your own emotional well-being.
In addition to your bliss list, try these tips to feel good about yourself and your life:
- Get moving. When you exercise, your body makes chemicals called endorphins that help you feel good.
- Sleep tight. Being tired can wreck your mood.
- Eat right. If your body isn’t getting the fuel it needs from nutritious foods, you can feel sluggish or grouchy.
- Build positive relationships. Connecting with people who care about you can really boost your mood.
- Help others. Helping people in need can give you a sense of purpose and pride. It’s great to do good in the world!
- Stay true to you. Try ways to keep track of your best traits and to boost your self-esteem. How you feel about yourself affects how you feel about life overall.